- About GM
- GM Brands
- Worldwide Locations
- Careers Social Network
At GM, pride in our vehicles—and our country—runs deep.
We recognize and appreciate the sacrifice and service that our Veterans, active military and reservists employees make.
We’re proud to say that we support the military through our GM Military Discount program, our ongoing collections for Cell Phones for Soldiers, and our partnerships with organizations that support wounded veterans, like the Achilles Freedom Team of Wounded Veterans.
From care package collection and distribution to virtual career fairs, GM is dedicated to making a difference for our service men and women.
General Motors is committed to supporting our military employees. Here are just a few facts that help define our long history of supporting our military employees.
- Over the years, more than 60,000 GM employees have served in the military
- GM currently employs nearly 300 employees who are active Reservists
- We also employee nearly 5,000 veterans in both hourly and management capacities
- Our CEO, Dan Akerson, is a USNA graduate
- Our GM Veterans Resource Group represents nearly 5,000 salaried GM Veterans
General Motors has a long history of supporting our employees who are active military personnel and reservists. And, we’ve always been committed to hiring qualified Veterans on every level within our corporation.
- In 2011, we collected over 1,800 pounds of food for the Monthly Care Package Collection of the CCA Chapter of the VAG, for troops overseas serving in “harm's way”
- We are actively seeking qualified Vets to fill Group Leader positions at several Manufacturing sites across the U.S.
- We send a daily feed of open, salaried positions to all 50 state employment agencies and their state veterans' employment agencies
- GM is a corporate participant in the Army Pays program
- We participate in career fairs aimed at the military
- We are a member of Operation Impact, an alliance of corporations that assist injured vets to find a job
- We continue health care insurance during deployment, so that families can continue to receive coverage
- Since 9/11, GM makes up the difference between military base pay and their GM wages for the duration of active duty
- We guarantee our Guard and Reserve employees their jobs when they return home
- GM Veteran Resource Group members participate in:
- Operation Impact
- Transition Assistance Program Classes (TAPS)
- Service Academy Career Conferences and other selected job fairs
There’s a reason why we were voted one of the top 25 companies in the U.S. by Military Times magazine.
Plain and simple, it’s our commitment to our Veteran, Guard and Reservists employees. The policies and procedures we have in place are designed to make their transitions to and from serving their country as seamless as possible.
In fact, the Secretary of Defense has even recognized GM because of all we do to assure our military employees that their jobs—and their families—will be taken care of on the home front. GM was awarded the Freedom Award in 2007 from the ESGR / Secretary of Defense. This is the highest honor a company can receive from the Guard/Reserve.
Best Military Discount.
We're proud to offer you the best military discount from any car company. With the GM Military Discount, Active Duty members, Reserves and Retirees, including their spouses, of the U.S. Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, National Guard and Coast Guard .