- About GM
- GM Brands
- Worldwide Locations
- North America
- South America
- Asia/Middle East
Service In Action Saluting Our Veterans
Helping Our Nation’s Heroes Feel at Home
Sacrifice. Service. Honor. We're proud and humbled to say that celebrating and recognizing our courageous men and women in uniform is a tradition at GM. Working hand-in-hand with organizations, such as Achilles Freedom Team of Wounded Warriors and Cell Phones for Soldiers, we are dedicated to improving the lives of Veterans. Whether through our Military Discount program, our care package collection, or our virtual career fairs, our dedication to Veterans runs deep.
Start Your GM Career Here
Learn More About Our Veterans and GM
Supporting our military employees is just our way of saying thank you. We're putting our plans into action by getting Veterans back to work:
- Over the years, more than 60,000 GM employees have served in the military.
- We currently employ nearly 300 employees who are active Reservists.
- Veterans work in both hourly and management positions.
- Our GM Veterans Resource Group represents nearly 5,000 salaried GM Veterans.
We've a long history of hiring qualified Veterans on every level within our corporation, including:
- Working with 100,000 Jobs Mission, we're partnering with more than 150 companies to collectively hire 100,000 veterans by 2020. To date, the Mission helped place 140,000 Veterans in the workforce – and has set a new target of 200,000.
- Through state Veterans' employment agencies, we send a daily feed of open, salaried positions to all 50 states.
- We are a corporate participant in the Army Pays program.
- We participate in career fairs aimed at supporting the military.
- As a member of Operation Impact, we joined an alliance of corporations that help injured Veterans to find jobs.
- We continue health care insurance during deployment, so that families can continue to receive coverage.
- Since 9/11, GM makes up the difference between military base pay and their GM wages for the duration of active duty.
- We guarantee our Guard and Reserve employees their jobs when they return home.
GM Veteran Resource Group members participate in:
- Operation Impact
- Transition Assistance Program (TAP) Classes
- Service Academy Career Conferences and other selected job fairs
There's a reason why we were voted one of the top 25 companies in the U.S. by Military Times magazine. Plain and simple, it's our commitment to our Veteran, Guard, and Reservist employees. We've designed our policies to make serving our country as seamless as possible. The Secretary of Defense recognized GM for all we do to assure our military employees that their jobs – and their families – will be taken care of at home. The ESGR/Secretary of Defense awarded the Freedom Award to GM in 2007. This is the highest honor a company can receive from the Guard/Reserve.
Getting Our Veterans Back To Work
Joining forces with the U.S. Chamber of Commerce Foundation's "Hiring Our Heroes" program, we're giving our nation's Veterans the help they need to transition to life at home, and helping their spouses find meaningful careers.
Training Our Veterans - The GM Way
Giving Veterans the opportunity to launch the next phase of their lives. We're offering industry-leading training programs, such as Service Tech College/Center of Learning and our Automotive Service Educational Program (GM ASEP).
Download our "We Support You" brochure to get the latest on all the ways GM helps our nation's Veterans.
join our talent community
Fuel your career and join the most dynamic force in the industry. We’ll keep you up to date on openings, upcoming events, and opportunities only available at GM.
best military discount
Giving our Veterans the best discount in the industry shows our commitment to our men and women in uniform. We’re even extending the discount to spouses of the Air Force, Army, Navy, Marines, National Guard, and Coast Guard – whether you’re Active Duty, Reserve, or Retired.